Sign In   |   Register
Original Buildings or Irons?
Moderator(s): Burk Cornelius
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/9/2013 at 5:41:32 PM GMT
Original Buildings or Irons?
Has anyone had experience with conflicts between original buildings in an old town/city square and the newer irons popping up on surrounding blocks? I have irons on two blocks that fit each other but would cause almost all the original buildings to encroach into the row. After locating the buildings they fit well with each other and the called row width and the only buildings that would encroach have obvious additions to the original footprints. But those buildings do not fit with the irons. The old plats (1902, 1903) do not call for any monuments and what exists is of all types and sizes. I'm assuming the buildings date to a time a lot closer to the plats than the irons do and there was a corresponding greater chance of finding original corners. With such a good fit on my buildings, no called for monuments, plat dimensions that have no relation to reality, and everything from irons to pipes to "X" cuts, I know that I would tend to hold the old buildings and avoid encroachments. How about the rest of you?

12/11/2013 at 3:40:42 PM GMT
RE: Original Buildings or Irons?
J. Libby said:
Has anyone had experience with conflicts between original buildings in an old town/city square and the newer irons popping up on surrounding blocks? I have irons on two blocks that fit each other but would cause almost all the original buildings to encroach into the row. After locating the buildings they fit well with each other and the called row width and the only buildings that would encroach have obvious additions to the original footprints. But those buildings do not fit with the irons. The old plats (1902, 1903) do not call for any monuments and what exists is of all types and sizes. I'm assuming the buildings date to a time a lot closer to the plats than the irons do and there was a corresponding greater chance of finding original corners. With such a good fit on my buildings, no called for monuments, plat dimensions that have no relation to reality, and everything from irons to pipes to "X" cuts, I know that I would tend to hold the old buildings and avoid encroachments. How about the rest of you?

Did you measure across the street to other buildings? I have resurveyed downtown  in large cities, medium sized towns and little ones. I have never set monuments in conflict with buildings. Party walls and exterior walls are usually the best evidence of original boundary (lines).

12/11/2013 at 8:28:31 PM GMT
I located buildings on both sides of the main street. They fit with each other extremely well except for those buildings that had facades added. They fit across the street and across two blocks. Most of these buildings have been in place for a long time. Some of the old rock work was pretty interesting too, but whether it was rock or brick - if it appeared to be original it fit. The common walls also fit the location of the lot lines.

12/18/2013 at 2:59:52 PM GMT

I have had this situation before, in the small town where my dad had his business and I started my career.  All the old evidence we found indicated that the old buildings were built within a tenth of the original locations of the lot lines.

Stop Repeat Offenders!!! Quit Re-Electing Them!!!

OSLS Sustaining Members (click on logo to visit website)

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal