Sign In   |   Register
NSPS 100% Affiliate program
Moderator(s): Burk Cornelius
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/10/2013 at 10:39:39 PM GMT
NSPS 100% Affiliate program

This is the thread for discussion, questions and answers about the proposed NSPS 100% Affiliate Program.  Please be courteous and professional in your discussions.

Click here to read all about the program and where OSLS stands

Burk Cornelius, PLS
Executive Director
Oklahoma Society of Land Surveyors

Last edited Sunday, June 30, 2013
7/2/2013 at 11:10:02 PM GMT
NSPS

Burk:

I am currently a member of the NSPS as Kansas went that way last year.

From what I read, I can't figure out if the dues are $40 per year per State or $40 per year for all you are licensed in. Believe me, reading the NSPS info Kansas sent me put me in brain overload. No very clear and concise in my opinion.

Doesn't really make any sense for one $40 payment to cover all of the States, so I think I might be asking a dumb question. But then again, dumb questions are how we become un-dumb.

Andrew J. Bontje

PLS 1614

7/3/2013 at 2:11:19 PM GMT

Andrew, not a dumb question at all. Truthfully, since you area an OK resident, KS shouldn't have included you in their NSPS list. The agreement with NSPS is that only residents of that state are included in the program.

Burk Cornelius, PLS
Executive Director

7/3/2013 at 10:34:50 PM GMT
A reason to say yes
Working on the committee converted me from skeptic to a strong supporter of this plan.  Some OSLS members invested considerable effort to have confidence this is not a boondoggle.  At our last committee meeting we were asked to express our support if we truly stood behind our vote of support.  The OSLS board of directors has my sincere support in this endeavor.  I plan to vote for the dues increase at our annual conference.  Phil Stevenson

Attached Images:

7/7/2013 at 9:52:21 PM GMT

I think that the new and improved NSPS is great and an awesome fit for the OSLS. They are going to help us have a strong national voice and local presence. The NSPS is back to the basics, they are Surveyors like you and I. The steps that they have made are huge changes for the better for us as Land Surveyors.

I have had a great honor and privilege to be on the NSPS committee and also as a part of the Board of Directors during this process. I see this as a great addition and partnership for our Society and each of us as a Professional. 

Shawn A. Collins, PLS, CFedS
Vice President 2013-2014

Last edited Monday, July 8, 2013
7/8/2013 at 4:11:35 PM GMT
RE: A reason to say yes
P. Stevenson said:
Working on the committee converted me from skeptic to a strong supporter of this plan.  Some OSLS members invested considerable effort to have confidence this is not a boondoggle.  At our last committee meeting we were asked to express our support if we truly stood behind our vote of support.  The OSLS board of directors has my sincere support in this endeavor.  I plan to vote for the dues increase at our annual conference.  Phil Stevenson

I was in the same boat as Phil, I was not only skeptical, I was against the proposal initially. After some brutally honest conversations with Curt Sumner from NSPS, I now see that NSPS has made concerted efforts to change their fiscal [ir]responsibilities from past administrations. I now feel that NSPS is on the right track to make a difference in the national voice for Surveyors. I vote YES!

Burk Cornelius, PLS
Executive Director

7/30/2013 at 4:12:48 AM GMT

Here in Texas, we are having the same debate, although the majority of our Chapters while skeptical they appear to be in favor of it. In my personal opinion, it is a positive action that will give greater voice of the Surveyors' Profession and will strengthen our position throughout the 50 States.

My only counter-argument in regards to the $40 increase of the fees due to the NSPS membership, I am not sure if it is fair for a PLS to be charged 2 or more times this amount in the case where he is Licensed in multiple States and desires to be a member of each State's Society of Professional Surveyors.

These are my two cents.

Vas

8/1/2013 at 1:17:35 AM GMT
V, The agreement with NSPS is that only residents of that state are included in the program. Your home state is the only state that would pay for your NSPS membership

Shawn A. Collins, PLS, CFedS
Vice President 2013-2014

OSLS Sustaining Members (click on logo to visit website)

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal